Bridge End Bunkie is located on the North East corner of Historic Balls Bridge in Huron County.
This historic property boasts the original Ball stone homestead built in 1864. Bridge End Bunkie is situated in the edge of the cedar forest, riverside just a short 5 min walk from the house and parking via trails or a small roadway.
Should you require assistance bring your things down to the river we have on site a side by side that that we can use to take you and your supplies down to the river.
A Rustic Experience
The bunkie does not have hydro or running water.
- Upper loft with a thick comfortable queen mattress.
- Lower daybed with 2 twin mattresses that can be placed side by side for a king size when the base is pulled out.
- Please bring your own linens.
- 2 Coleman battery lanterns for light.
- Enjoy a riverside fire with a cooking grill or small propane bbq.
(Firewood provided for a fee, please do not bring wood due to invasive insects)
- Pans, griddle, dishes and cutlery are all on site along with cooking spray.
- Picnic table. (Please keep mind to protect the table with the plastic cloth provided and don’t place hot or greasy things on the table surface.)
- Fresh water and a wash basin and dish soap.
- The “Trout House” is a sawdust composting outhouse. Sawdust is available in the tote behind, place a handful or two on top of every use. When you are finished with your stay please empty the bucket into the 50 gallon drum at the base of the road, rinse then replace it with a couple handfuls of fresh sawdust. There is no shower facility.
For Your Entertainment
- Bridge End is all about being creative and enjoying the beauty of the historic bridge, the river and surrounding cedar forest. Artists are invited to come armed with all their painting supplies, or book Elizabeth for your own private sketching lesson.
- There are a few short trails on the property or if you are an avid hiker the Maitland trail connects right to us on Balls Bridge. Maitland trail maps are in the side table.
- Fish the Maitland River, 3 day or year long licenses can be easily purchased online.
- A canoe and 2 kayaks plus life jackets are available for your use at your own risk or bring your own.
- A great run on the Maitland River is Auburn to the bunkie. This stretch takes anywhere between 2 to 5 hours depending on the water level. When the water is low it does require walking in several areas and can take longer to get home. If you would like to do this run, arrange with us to drop you off at Auburn which ironically is only a 5 min drive.
- Goderich is a 15 min drive for shopping and more entertainment.
- Nightly $125
- Dropoff in Auburn with the Kayaks $35
- Tent site $15 with your own tent, $30 more for a tent included.
- Fishing gear available. Any interest in fly tying or fly casting please inquire.
- Private Sketching Lessons with Elizabeth, $50/hr plus $20 for each additional person, all supplies inluded.
Rental is available by referrals only.
Contact Elizabeth for availability at email@example.com
PS. Do not forget your bug spray!